A cookie a day keeps the doctor away. Wait, maybe it’s an apple a day… For the sake of this post, let’s stick with a cookie. I absolutely love baking as much as I love the finished, sugary result. It’s a great stress-relieving activity where I can enjoy the result and share with my family and friends.
My friends love when I bring sweets, especially my famous M&M cookies, along to share. In fact, I get asked about these cookies a lot. There’s something about them that my friends and family love, and I know yours will too! They’re as tasty as they are easy to make. After you make these, you’ll never fret about what to make for a party, meeting, or birthday ever again!
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (I use salted) at room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs at room temperature
3 cups of all-purpose flour (add an extra 1/4 cup if making at altitude)
1/2 cup M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter with white and light brown sugars. Cream together until smooth, uniform consistency.
- Add baking soda and vanilla.
- Add eggs individually.
- Add flour one cup at a time, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl before adding the next cup. This ensures a better, more even consistency to the dough.
- After flour is incorporated, mix in M&Ms by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Use a 1 inch ice cream scoop to measure cookies onto lined baking sheet. I also use spoons to form cookies if I don’t have an ice cream scoop.**
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until golden brown.
**After many batches of cookies, I’ve found that chilling the dough (for approximately 30 minutes) before baking gives the cookies a more defined, circular shape. It’s not necessary to chill to have a delicious, sweet treat!
I hope you enjoy! I love these cookies and they are a staple at my apartment and with my friends. But, BEWARE, making these will cause your friends to beg you to make them again and again!